Top 12 Best GPS Running Watches 2017
If you are training yourself for the next Olympic Marathon distance, GPS watch is the serious one which will help you a lot. With the best GPS running watch, you can improve your performance and the first step to the fitness trackers. It will tend you to track more step you have walked per hours. Athletes who are serious and dedicated are investing on the GPS watches. This best GPS running watch will give you the accurate reading and all the personal choice which you need for your run. In any workout, heart rate information is a vital thing which ones need to observe. All these are the essential tools for the runners. May not all buy some are affordable in price and provides the best GPS running watch. For you, we have brought out some top best GPS running watch and among them, some catchy products are, Garmin Forerunner 735XT, Garmin Fenix 2, Garmin Forerunner 230, Garmin Forerunner 630, Garmin Vivoactive HR, Fitbit Surge, Moto 360 Sport, Polar V800, TomTom Spark 3, Polar M400.
- 1 How to Choose Best GPS Running Watch
- 2 GARMIN FORERUNNER 735XT
- 3 Garmin Fenix 2
- 4 Moto 360 Sport
- 5 Fitbit Surge
- 6 Polar V800
- 7 Garmin Vivoactive HR
- 8 TomTom Spark 3
- 9 TomTom Runner
- 10 Best GPS Running Watch TomTom Runner Review
- 11 Garmin Forerunner 230
- 12 Garmin Forerunner 630
- 13 TomTom Multisport Cardio
- 14 Polar M400
How to Choose Best GPS Running Watch
The models which are being selected for our article that’s because it has all the dynamics of running. People who are serious about their run, they need to follow some dynamics of the run to improve their performance. All these above products have the cadence (which counts the number of steps per minute), vertical oscillation (is the bounce of your while running), ground contact time (amount of time you spend on the ground), ground contact time balance (displays the left/right balance of your ground contact time), and the stride length (the stride length form one footfall to the next). All these also has the color gauges which shows and instruct you about the ranges you need to have to improve your performance in the run. Other products focus mostly heart rate monitor, swim, 24/7 activity and much more. These also have the heart rate monitor as it is important for all the workouts we do. Above watches focus on one thing and are available as budget, mid-range, high-end, activity tracker, multisport and triathlon.
All these also has the color gauges which shows and instruct you about the ranges you need to have to improve your performance in the run. Other products focus mostly heart rate monitor, swim, 24/7 activity and much more. These also have the heart rate monitor as it is important for all the workouts we do. Above watches focus on one thing and are available as budget, mid-range, high-end, activity tracker, multisport and triathlon.
GARMIN FORERUNNER 735XT
|Garmin Forerunner 735XT is one of best GPS running watch. It is a brand new GPS watch for the triathletes as it has some advanced running metrics. It is capable to detect the type of stroke and also the distance automatically.You just need to pair up with the Garmin’s vector sensor for the cycling. This has been designed especially for the triathletes and the one who are really excited to participate in the Olympic and in Tough Mudder challenge.|
How the Garmin 735XT Works
You will be amazed to have a run with this Garmin Forerunner 735XT and how it reacts with the GPS. It can track the GPS consistently by managing to find the signal faster. Garmin Forerunner 735XT track the distance incredibly as it’s being found roughly 5.3 km between the Basis Peak and the result was consistent. The built-in heart rate monitor which is one of the best features of this Garmin Forerunner 735XT. It’s also a multi-sports functional GPS watch is also very impressive and it can track individually the run, swim, and cycling. If you are a triathlete, can customize easily and switch between these three just using the button which is located on the right-hand side. For the accurate Training Effect score, must need the HRM Tri which can potentially put off. It simply wants to know the distance you have run. Garmin Forerunner 735XT is water resistant and you can use for about 11 days with watch mode, up to 14 hours with GPS and training mode and 24 hours in UltraTrac mode. You can connect Garmin Forerunner 735XT with ANT+, Bluetooth Smart, and USB.
- It can measure the heart rate at the wrist.
- Has the advanced dynamics for running, cycling, and swimming with included ground contact time balance, vertical ratio, stride length and much more.
- Garmin Forerunner 735XT can lactate the threshold, race predictor, and the estimated recovery advisor.
- It has the smart notification, automatic uploads with Garmin Connect, live tracking and more.
- It’s lightweight GPS multisport watch to track the training data for running, cycling, swimming, hiking, skiing, strength, paddle sports, cardio and multisport.
- Activity tracking of the Garmin Forerunner 735XT can measure steps, sleep and the calories burned.
Garmin Fenix 2
|Garmin Fenix 2 is another best GPS running watch. It is an average run GPS watch for the run. It’s being designed for some serious multi-sports and can track anything form the run. This watch is a new refined product for swimmer, runner, cyclist, hunters, hikers, fisherman, climbers, skiers, snowboarders, geocaches, skydivers. Garmin Fenix 2 is a powerful partner for serious running.|
How the Garmin Fenix 2 Works
After coupling with Garmin’s accelerometer it equipped with HRM run heart rate strap, Garmin Fenix 2 can monitor the distance and also the pace. But for the heart rate, cadence, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, Garmin Fenix 2 need the additional foot pod. Also, this Garmin Fenix 2 can compute the post-run recovery times by allowing the GPS watch so that it can predict the race finishing times. It gives you the detailed data of your activities which makes this Garmin Fenix 2 watch from the other competitors. An interesting part of Garmin Fenix 2 is for the fisherman as it can calculate the time of the sunrise and the sunset of the located area. It gives the information for all the features like, hikers, fisherman, climbers, skiers, snowboarders, etc. The battery of Garmin Fenix 2 last up to 14-24 hours with Bluetooth smart notification depending on the speed of the coming notifications. When the Bluetooth is turned off and GPS are being used occasionally, you can use up too close to 10 days.
- Garmin Fenix 2 can track the distance, pace and heart rate.
- With the heart rate monitor, Garmin Fenix 2 can calculate the recovery time.
- It has the HRM run monitor which adds the data of the cadence, ground contact time and the vertical oscillation.
- As a connected feature you can upload your data to Garmin Connect and in BaseCamp so that you can track and share live.
- Has the high-sensitive GPS positioning of 3-axis compass with altimeter and barometer.
- Garmin Fenix 2 watch is water resistant up to 50 meters.
- It has the built-in memory of 32 MB.
- Has the Bluetooth compatible and ANT+ sensor.
- The button of the Garmin Fenix 2 is well positioned which are easy to use.
- You can customize the watch by adding as many pages of displays as you want to.
Moto 360 Sport
|Moto 360 Sport is another best GPS watch of this bright list. It has brought a sporty version of the Moto 360 which came in the market on 2015 but this is something more than that. It’s their second android wear watch which has GPS and they have implemented much better the first one. The screen of the watch is of the new kind which we want to see in the future as it works well on any smartwatches.|
How the Moto 360 Sport Works
It has the 1.3inch LCD display which is naturally adaptable and can backlight whenever you are in the dim lighting situation. This is a well one for the time when you are in a sunnier condition. Moto 360 Sport is so comfortable to wear that you can wear it all day long. Incomparable to normal Moto 360, Moto 360 Sport is equipped with the GPS and an essential tool just for the runners. This essential tool helps to measure the distance and pace in real-time and there is no require for the smartphone. As Moto 360 Sport is certified with to IP67 standard, you can wear it in the shower. Over past few months, Moto 360 Sport has upgraded itself including Wi-Fi compatibility, gesture in the wrist, emoji drawing has made the experience more polished. The activity tracking is the especial neat about Moto 360 Sport. It can track the step taken, calories it burns, and the heart activity in a minute. It has the big battery and you can enjoy 18 to 22 hours with just the loads of notifications rolling but dramatically falls this when the GPS is in action.
- It has the Hybrid display and works very well.
- GPS of the Moto 360 Sport are respectable for tracking run.
- Lightweight and comfortable to wear all day long.
- You can charge it by the Qi wireless charger.
- The Moto 360 Sports watch is certified to IP67.
- Moto 360 Sport can recognize your voice command.
- With built-in GPS technology, it can track the pace.
- The Moto 360 Sports watch is dust proof and water-resistant.
|Another best running watch of this hot list is Fitbit Surge. This is the first product of the company’s which is a true sport tracking for the one who loves running, cycling and working out. Fitbit Surge is the most advanced tracker till the date with included optional heart rate sensing and built-in GPS. This can track all the things like steps, calories burned, sleep, and all other activity.|
How the Fitbit Surge Works
Fitbit Surge can last up to 10 hours if the GPS signal is active and without it can last up to 7 days. The watch is very soft and comfortable to wear and you may feel like plastic rather than the other hi-tech fabric which is being used in some expensive athletic clothes. The counting of the calorie portion of Fitbit Surge is far good enough to run with the big boys. Fitbit Surge gives you the big advance by detecting automatically when you are asleep. Don’t turn on the sensitive mode then you will have the accurate tracking. Fitbit Surge is a serious watch for the runner which can compete with the GPS and also with heart rate monitor. The display is of touchscreen monochrome 1.25-inch LCD number and it uses the plethora of grayish blue variants because of its different home screens and menus. The things Fitbit Surge are capable of tracking with its 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope and digital compass.
- With GPS tracking you can see the distance, pace, split times and elevation climbed.
- Fitbit Surge has the built-in heart rate monitor to have continues and automatic with simplified heart rate zones.
- Tracks all day activities like steps, distance, calories burned, floor climbed, active minutes, hourly activity and stationary time.
- With the multi-sport and SmartTrack+, tracks and rides.
- Fitbit Surge has the longer competing trackers with a battery life which last up to seven days with GPS active up to 10 hours.
- With notification toggles you can see the call, the text also you will be able to control songs from your mobile playlist.
- It can monitor your sleep automatically and can set a silent alarm.
|The another best GPS watch of our list is Polar V800. It was first launched in 2014. They designed this watch for the hardcore runner, cyclists, and triathletes. This GPS watch can track the wide of variety of sports- running, swimming, yoga, dance and CrossFit. Polar V800 can also track the daily activities where there are steps taken and the burned calories.|
How the Polar V800 Works
The battery life of this rugged Polar V800 is super with included smart coaching modes. Added 24/7 fitness tracking supports the Polar’s new running program where it offers adaptive series of training plans which can be synced with the watch. The display of the Polar V800 is of monochrome with Gorilla Glass gives the tough exterior for the sharp viewing. Backlight makes the Polar V800 watch useful for the night-time running companion. The new running program can create an essential program which is based on the different distance races. It has the built-in smart coaching features so that it can create some more personalized routines. Polar V800 can load training benefits and have the impact on recovering the data is being integrated by notifying about you are being over trained or under trained. It has the housing battery of 350mAh by which you will get 13 hours of training with GPS on and 50 hours on low power mode.
- It has the training load which will show how you are affected by a body by comparing the load of different sessions.
- The recovery status will show you the time which will be necessary to recover for your next training session.
- Polar V800 notifies you and delivers motivation immediately after the training session describing the effect of the session.
- The new running program helps you to train for a running event with personal and adaptive training plan in Polar Flow.
- A new feature named Smart Calories+ gives you the exact burned calories rate depending on your weight, height, age, gender, individual maximum heart rate and how hard you are training.
- A unique feature of this Polar V800 is the Orthostatic test which determines your current condition by showing you the response of the heart rate during the training session factors like, the stress and the illness.
- After five minutes of your training, it measures your fitness from the time of your resting heart rate, heart rate variability and other background information.
Garmin Vivoactive HR
|The all-rounder product of best GPS running watch is Garmin Vivoactive HR. It is the second stab product of Garmin’s. in a word Garmin Vivoactive HR is an all-rounder and also known as the everything “watch”. It can measure running, cycling, golf, swimming, fitness tracking with smartwatch notifications and heart rate, all are here in the Garmin Vivoactive HR.|
How The Garmin Vivoactive HR Works
Garmin Vivoactive HR is not required to mention that it can cross the country skiing, indoor cycling, indoor running, indoor rowing and much more. With a close look on to the Garmin Vivoactive HR watch, changes are visible. Heart rate at its rear and have a fairly sizeable battery. The watch is water resistant to 5ATM which is around 50m. The display of the Garmin Vivoactive HR is of touchscreen and with the swipe down and you can able to see the daily activity and the notifications menu. Garmin Vivoactive HR gives the extra detailed view for the resting heart rate. Garmin Vivoactive HR can also measure the sports activities of run, bike, pool swim. Golf, walk, row SUP which is the paddle board ski, XC ski, run indoor, bike indoor, walk indoor and row indoor. For the run, tracking is fairly standard in the affair as you get the pace, cadence, heart rate, with obvious pace or distance data. You can use this Garmin Vivoactive HR watch for 8 days with the activity tracking mode and with GPS mode you can use up to 13 hours.
- Garmin Vivoactive HR is a smartwatch which has the sunlight-readable with the high-resolution color touchscreen.
- It has the built-in sports app with included GPS enable running, biking, swimming and much more and it doesn’t require any phone connection.
- With Connect IQ TM store you can customize the watch’s free face designs, widgets, and apps.
- After connecting with a phone you will receive the smart notifications and the smart coaching from Garmin Connect TM.
- It can track a wide range of activities like, running, cycling, golf, swimming, fitness tracking with smartwatch notifications, heart rate, bike, pool swim, Golf, walk, row SUP which is the paddle board ski, XC ski, run indoor, bike indoor, walk indoor and row indoor.
- Has the good battery life up to 8 days with watch or activity mode and up to 13 hours with GPS.
TomTom Spark 3
|TomTom Spark 3 is another popular one of the best GPS watch 2017. It is the successor one from the range of their previous products. This is a GPS watch with multiple sports tracking, 24/7 activity tracking, heart rate sensor just when you want to add some intervals at your training sessions. Interestingly, it’s a dedicated GPS running watch with which you can stream music without your phone.|
Best GPS Watch TomTom Spark 3 Review
TomTom Spark 3 watch is the removable module and the screen which has the optical heart-rate sensor built into the back of the watch. There is a slight change in the strap with softer and more textured which can wick sweat away. You can wear it all day long and as well as to track sleep. TomTom Spark 3 has seven sports models with included stopwatch option. Basically, in sports, this has given the main focus on the outdoor running but there is also treadmill running, swimming and gym modes over the pace as well. TomTom Spark 3 perform is the fantastic one for the running. It can pick up the GPS signal very quickly which is very impressive. TomTom Spark 3 has improved on treadmill run tracking and it is based on the accelerometer. They have added the new feature in the TomTom Spark 3 is the new route exploration. With this route mapped on the screen, will help you to navigate your home way for easier.
- It can measure your body fat and the muscle mass percentage from your wrist just within the touch of a button on your fitness tracker.
- TomTom Spark 3 tracks your heart rate throughout the day which has the built-in heart rate monitor.
- Make every moment count of your steps, active time, calories burned, sleep time and heart rate with 24/7 activity tracking.
- It has the calorie metrics you can measure the number of calories burned during the day with included basal metabolic rate.
- During your activity, TomTom Spark 3 watch will show the information of about the distance, time, pace, and heart rate.
- You can choose your activity from the training program and can decide which information you would like to see while you are training.
|There is another important GPS watch of the best GPS running watch 2017. TomTom Runner is the GPS watch especially for the runners and wants to track their outdoors performance and the treadmill in the gym. The watch is made up of scratch resistant for LCD display which is of one touch control and surrounded of GPS receiver.|
Best GPS Running Watch TomTom Runner Review
TomTom Runner has four-button control pad where you will find a row of three dots alongside the display. When you will press, the backlight will be activated and the light is bright enough to illuminate your display even in the evening run. You can take off the display and control pad from the rubber watch strap so that you can charge inside the dedicated charging dock. TomTom Runner has the built-in accelerometer and the sensor so that you can work out both outdoor and on a treadmill. You can customize the view of the display with distance, pace, average pace, stride length, calories burned and the lap times all in real-time. The watch has the Bluetooth Smart support with which you can sync the TomTom Runner and has some additional devices, heart rate strap is included only when you want the train in specific running zone. TomTom Runner has new graphical training partner which will push you to work harder while running sessions. This watch has the one main feature which is the QuickGPSFix technology which TomTom has incorporated by using the satnavs to improve the time for receiving the GPS signal. While you are for a run on that time you can sync and share the data through the web tool of TomTom MySports. TomTom Runner gives the accurate information of your activity for which runners doesn’t have any complaints on this. On a full charge, a runner can run twice of for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Best GPS running watch, TomTom Runner has the impressive QuickGPSFix technology.
- The best GPS running watch light in weight and can wear it all day long.
- The watch has the motivational new graphical virtual trainer will help you to train more effectively.
- Bluetooth Smart support will let you share and upload your activities.
- TomTom Runner watch is the best GPS running watch and water resistant.
- It has the extra-large display with which you can see your key running at a glance.
- The display is of one touch control and you can easily navigate through menus.
Garmin Forerunner 230
|The another popular one of this bright list is Garmin Forerunner 230 watch. It is a standard one for the runner. This Garmin Forerunner 230 offers distance, pace, interval options, ability to pair with a chest strap are the tools which are the basic needs of the runner. Moreover, you will get the smartwatch notifications from your phone displayed and the daily activities of tracking.|
Best GPS Running Watch Garmin Forerunner 230 Review
Garmin Forerunner 230 is made of durable plastic, super light and waterproof of 50m. this rubber strap is also sweat resistant and specially designed for the sports. The watch last for months as a normal watch and offers about 16hours with GPS tracking. The performance of this best GPS running watch is one of the best around and the Garmin Forerunner 230 is locked onto the satellites in lightning-quick time. Garmin Forerunner 230 is a smart watch with which now you can connect via Bluetooth to the Garmin Connect app and you can share information like, events, local weather and set the notifications and call alerts. You don’t have to put your best GPS running watch on a run mode as GPS take it in a few seconds and lock it for you. There is a feature with which you can use the combination of GPS+GLONASS which is a Russian GPS system for improved and accurate measure.
- Garmin Forerunner 230 is 24/7 fitness tracker.
- It can track steps, distance, calories, sleep and more.
- You can use the combination of GPS+ GLONASS to have the improved accuracy.
- It’s going to vibrate and have audio enabled for the smart notification, alarms and move alerts.
- You can customize the display fields as per your requirements.
- The Garmin Forerunner 230 watch water resistant to 5ATM.
- The watch has the manual and automatic laps for 1km/1mile and for customized distance.
- It has the interval run features.
- You can use the watch for 5 weeks in just watch mode and with GPS activity tracking, 16 hours.
- It will alert you of incoming phone calls and can pick up that.
Garmin Forerunner 630
|Garmin Forerunner 630 is the latest and tech-packed flagship running watch and it’s going to push keen runners to new heights. This watch has the comfortable rubberised strap and the Garmin Forerunner 630 watch is thin enough to slide down under most of the sleeves without any issue. The watch is super light in weight and attractive enough to be used all day long.|
How Garmin Forerunner 630 Works
Garmin Forerunner 630 is waterproof to 5 ATM which means you can swim with this technically to 50 meters. It has four physical buttons on either side of the display for engraved dedicated features. There is an additional small capacitive button below the screen with which you can scroll down through the menus and notifications. Basically, this is a running-focused sports watch but it’s also built for cycling for the extra add-ons. When you are running with the heart rate monitor chest strap, the watch can pair in seconds. As the Garmin Forerunner, 630 watch has the additional GLONASS satellite support you don’t have to wait for GPS too long. It can track standard pace, speed, timing, elevation and the heart rate reading along with a training effect number. The watch has the built-in Wi-Fi on board with which you can upload your sessions to Garmin Connect and you will be able to see the running dynamics data on cadence, stride length, vertical ratio, vertical oscillation, average GC time balance and average ground contact time. Garmin Forerunner 630 can muster up to 16 hours whenever you are putting the sensor into action but you are using the activity tracking and just features like notifications, the watch can muster for a month.
- Best GPS running watch, Garmin Forerunner 630 is a 2nd Generation running dynamics and will allow reviewing data of stride length, ground contact balance, vertical oscillation ratio.
- This best GPS running watch can track lactate threshold, stress score, pace, heart rate and more.
- Ground contact lets you measure the ground time during the run.
- Steps are counted by the cadence records.
- With vertical oscillation, the degree of bounce is measured during running motion.
- You will receive an audio prompt for lap times while you listen to music and will vibrate alerts for time, distance, calories and heart rate.
- The display of the best GPS running watch, Garmin Forerunner 630 is of touch screen and has a high resolution color display.
TomTom Multisport Cardio
|TomTom Multisport Cardio is the GPS watch which can track run, indoor swimming, and cycling. It has the built-in heart rate sensor and can collect the data about your pulse when you do exercise. This watch has focused on the run and has an added feature for tracking cycling and swimming. While cycling, you will be able to sync your watch with TomTom’s wheel-mounted cadence tracker.|
Best GPS Running Watch TomTom Multisport Cardio Review
Best GPS running watch, TomTom Multisport Cardio has an endless stream of updates. The menu is easy to use with One-Button Control system and it’s like a D-pad. It’s so easy that you don’t have to remember which button does what, simply scroll left-right/ up and down with menus and via this button. Best GPS Running Watch, TomTom Multisport Cardio has a main section of the four-way control button which is removable for charging. You can also transmit your activity data with the included USB cradle and its water proof. The heart rate monitor of the best GPS running watch, TomTom Multisport Cardio works well and will give you accurate measure, comfortable to wear and non-invasive. The system can read the heart rate monitor by using the green LED lights for detecting the fluctuations in blood flow between the points. After that, they calculate the speed of the blood pumping. It can measure distance, pace, average pace, speed, calories burned, heart rate and the cadence will show you the need of your gear setup.
- TomTom Multisport Cardio is the best GPS running watch which has LCD display and Bluetooth Smart technology.
- This best GPS running watch watch can track run, swim, cycling and much more.
- It has the additional optional Bluetooth Sports peripherals.
- The display of the TomTom Multisport Cardio in of One-button menu system.
- For one who has bike and love bike riding TomTom Multisport Cardio has the Bike handlebar mount included.
- You can share your stats and activities to the TomTom MySports and in MapMyFitness.
- TomTom Multisport Cardio will give you the accurate heart rate monitor.
- The watch is comfortable to wear all day long.
|Polar M400 is the fitness device which is going to bridge the gap between the fitness band and GPS sports watch. This watch will give the detailed activity track. It maybe the walking up the stairs or speeding through your local park. The rubber strap of the watch helps to snug on your wrist with a security loop. But the strap is quite soft which will make you feel comfortable to wear.|
Best GPS Running Watch Polar M400 Review
Polar M400 is known as the best GPS running watch as it has some added intelligence and the best GPS running watchcan track all the GPS-enabled stats like cycling and even the horse riding. The watch has the simple USB charging which makes it unique for charging cable or dock. Polar M400 is water-resistant up to 30m. As it has the high-contrast display, you will not face any difficulties to read the stats even under the direct sunlight. You can pair up with the chest strap for added accuracy and with the Polar staple heart rate zone training center. Polar M400 can track distance, pace, altitude and the calories burned. They also brought out a new path as an ability which is to deliver the data of the time when you are not running. It has the internal accelerometer unit that can track steps, activity and the sleep. For the runner, Polar M400 best GPS running watch has some useful features which are the Back to Start feature guide. It will direct you the route via home using the GOS marker which is stored at each run. The battery life will give you the support up to 8 hours with GPS tracking and for general day-to-day tracking, it can muster closer to 21 days.
- The training load system of the Polar M400 will show you the training effects of your body and helps you to compare the load of the different sessions.
- It will continuously monitor your recovery status so that you can avoid over or under training plan.
- A five-minute fitness test will measure the aerobic fitness of your resting heart rate, heart rate variability with background information.
- A useful feature of best GPS running watch, Polar M400 is the running Index Score which will automatically calculate you every run based on your heart rate and the speed data from the GPS or stride sensor.
- For the runner, it has another feature called Running Estimator which calculates the covered distance at the pace that is clocking currently.
- The activity guide will show the activeness period during the day and recommends you the measurement for the physical activity to reach.
- The best GPS running watch, Polar M400 is comfortable to wear and water-resistant of 30m.